What To Do When You Face Criminal Charges For The First Time
Everything in life, from starting a new job to managing an insurance claim, involves a learning process. How, then, could you be fully prepared to handle the legalities involved with a first arrest?
At the New York City law firm of Epstein & Weil LLC we have provided criminal defense legal services to hundreds of clients since 1979, including numerous individuals facing a first arrest.
Do I Need An Attorney?
“I only got a summons.” “The charges are bogus.” “Do I really need a lawyer?” We strongly advise those dealing with the criminal justice system for the first time, whether through a summons or arrest, to contact an attorney immediately. If at all possible, speak to your attorney before speaking to law enforcement officials or answering their questions. Why?
- Information given voluntarily is potentially harmful to your case and should first be reviewed by an attorney to protect your rights. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.
- Information potentially helpful to your case can always be provided later. Now is not the time.
- Your summons may be for a misdemeanor and could result in a permanent criminal record.
Throughout the criminal justice process, an attorney can provide further invaluable legal help. For instance, if facts and evidence are strong, an attorney can press for your involvement in diversionary programs, including programs addressing drug and alcohol abuse, or offering community service or rehabilitation as alternatives to jail time.
If you are accused of a crime, you need an experienced advocate to defend your rights at each step. With early intervention, and with help throughout your legal entire process, you can take the steps necessary to prove your innocence or mitigate your sentence.
Who Can Help You?
At Epstein & Weil LLC, firm partner and attorney Lloyd Epstein has handled countless first-arrest cases, and:
- Has tried countless cases in state and cederal courts in New York
- Has taught trial practice classes at New York Law School and CUNY School of Law and continuing education seminars for criminal defense lawyers around the country
- Has extensive knowledge of diversionary programs
For knowledgeable assistance following your first accusation or arrest for shoplifting, drug possession, trespassing, graffiti or any other crime, contact our firm.
We Will Guide You Through This
If this is your first contact with the criminal justice system, it is normal to be worried and confused. The New York law firm of Epstein & Weil LLC provides sound legal advice and experienced criminal defense for any criminal charges. We are available 24/7 to come to your aid. Our offices is located very close to the federal courts in Manhattan, and we speak Spanish and Hebrew as well as English. Call 212-732-4888 or send an email by filling out our contact form. We accept Visa, Mastercard and American Express.